11/28/2007

Your Mid-Week Links

Exorcism at Warners
Exorcism at Warners,
originally uploaded by UnitedHollywood.

This pic snapped by Jeffrey Berman is my favorite from yesterday's exorcism at Warners. Congrats to Jace, Scott and the Horror Writers for pulling this together. And horror folks: I hope you're ready with some AMPTP voodoo dolls if these reports of foot dragging and stall tactics are true.

- Yesterday also saw a big labor solidarity rally in New York's Washington Square Park. There's coverage and video at the Huffington Post.

- We're happy to add your strike photos to our Flickr pool if you don't have one of your own. Just email the shots to unitedhollywood [at] gmail [dot] com. Here is an RSS feed of all photos from Flickr users who've added UH as a contact. There's great stuff in there. I don't know much about SmugMug or Photobucket, but if you do, post links to strike-related tags in the comments!

- The latest "Speechless" is directed by Paul Haggis and features (deep breath) Demi Moore, Martin Sheen, Dulcy Rogers, Marguerite Moreau, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Deitrich Bader, Olivia Wilde, Marcia Cross, Chris Redman, Josh Brolin, Jenna Elfman, Elizabeth Pena, Polly Shannon, Kamala Lopez and James Franco.


All "Speechless" videos:
Hi-res/Brightcove
Lo-res/YouTube

- Members Speak!
Pamela Ribon, aka "Pamie" has been blogging about the strike and sharing email from her readers in a series of "Inbox" posts.

Comic Book Resources takes a look at how the strike affects the comics industry and includes a FAQ from comics writer and WGA member Brian K. Vaughan.

Doug Gordon became a WGA member by working for "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" during its heyday. He's written a personal essay in support of the strike onSalon.com.
If ever there was a time when I valued my WGA membership the most, it was when I wasn't working. Thanks to the Guild's qualification policy, I had earned enough during my time at "Millionaire" to keep my health insurance for another year. When that ran out, I held onto the WGA's excellent coverage by making COBRA payments. That ends next month, almost four years to the day after I wrote my last trivia question.


- Cinefamily at the Silent Movie Theater on Fairfax is a very cool new arthouse/rep program from the people behind Family, the "curated bookstore," just down the street. And for the duration of the strike, WGA members get in free.

- As Helen A.S. Popkin argues on MSNBC.com, if the conglomerates can't offer a fair deal and get everyone back to work, the Internet could eat our collective lunch... even if some content on there makes you want to lose your lunch. (And no, I couldn't make it all the way through the infamous video she refers to. I lasted longer than most, but even I have my limits.)

No comments: